In 1949, a small group of parents gathered together with the shared conviction that God wanted to raise up a school where children and young people would be educated in "the fear of the Lord." Throughout the year, these visionary parents gathered weekly to pray for God's direction and seek His provision in making Christ-centered education the key to knowledge.
On November 4, 1949 with $44.87 in the treasury, the Christian School Association of Delaware County (aka The Delaware County Christian School Society) was formed and its members stepped out in faith with a shared commitment to open the doors of a Christian (elementary) school in Delaware County by September 1950.
In September 1950, Delaware County Christian School officially opened its doors to 58 students in grades K-5. Holding firm to God's promise found in Jeremiah 32:17, "Ah Sovereign Lord, You have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.", forty-three families stepped out in faith and enrolled their children for the 1950-51 school year. Operating on a budget of $6,907 and housed in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church of Springfield, the new Christian school began its first year employing two full-time teachers and two part-time teachers.
Following its early beginnings in that local church basement, Delaware County Christian School has been located in Newtown Square since 1955 when it purchased the former 11-acre George Strawbridge Estate on Malin Road. In 1964 the school embarked on its first building program to provide the school with a gymnasium-auditorium. The adjacent five acres were also added to the school campus. During the 1970's, the upper school and middle school buildings were constructed.
In 1983, Delaware County Christian School purchased the former Alice Grimm School at 2 Bishop Hollow Road in Newtown Square from the Marple-Newtown School District. This addition provided much-needed space for elementary students in grades K-5.
To meet the needs of its growing student population from the greater Delaware Valley five-county area, the school continued to expand its facilities in 1994 with the addition of a new fine arts building, Lowrie Annex, on the Upper Campus.
As more families seek an education that is centered around Jesus Christ, the school continues to expand and improve its facilities. In 2000 DC added the DeMoss Center for Worship and the Arts. This addition of a 600-seat auditorium/classroom building provided much-needed classroom space as well as a common center for worship, parent meetings, student assemblies, concerts, and plays.
In 2009, to meet the needs of its expanding lower school program, DC sold the Bishop Hollow campus and purchased the thirty-three acre Lower Campus in nearby Devon.
Since its beginning in 1950, Delaware County Christian School has been committed to providing students with quality education from a Christian perspective in order to keep with its mission of educating students who will serve God and impact the world through biblical thought and action.
|1950||DC opened its doors in the lower level of the First Presbyterian Church of Springfield.|
|1951||DC added a sixth grade and moved to the Christian education building at Grace Chapel in Havertown.|
|1952||Roy Lowrie answered God's call to DC and joined the faculty as the sixth and seventh grade teacher.|
|1953||DC added an eighth grade.|
|1954||Roy Lowrie became the school's first Headmaster and a ninth grade was added.|
|1955||The DC Society purchased the George Strawbridge Estate (the mansion and 11 acres of land) in Newtown Square for $60,000; added a tenth grade; and hired four legendary faculty members and administrators including Maynard "Bud" Gray, Lucy Johnston Staley, Frank Roberts and Alex Szucs.|
|1956||An eleventh grade was added.|
|1957||DC added the twelfth grade and longtime employee Nancy Jacobson came to teach sixth grade.|
|1958||DC graduated its first senior class awarding eight diplomas.|
|1960||Secondary school accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.|
|1964||DC community purchased adjacent five-acre property and embarked on first building program to provide a gymnasium/auditorium.|
|1965||With its new (upper) gym complete, DC held the first DC Invitational Boys Basketball Tournament, the oldest continuous Christian high school basketball tournament in the country.|
|1968||Elementary School accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Private Academic Schools.|
|1972||DC held classes in its new high school building, complete with library and science labs.|
|1973||Elementary School accredited by the National Christian School Education Association.|
|1976||DC officially opened its new elementary building (now the Middle School) and the lower gym.|
|1979||Elementary School accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).|
|1980||Ken Tanis appointed as DC's second Headmaster; Dr. Roy W. Lowrie, Jr. becomes president of ACSI. DC's Discovery Center is established.|
|1983||The DC Society approved the purchase of the former Alice Grim School in Newtown Square. A separate middle school - to house sixth through eighth grades - began in the former elementary building. Another Step of Faith campaign sought to raise $400,000.|
|1988||ACSI awarded accreditation to grades K-12. DC's Discovery Center is accredited by the National Institute of Learning Disabilities.|
|1989||K - 12 grades receive accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.|
|1991||DC launched a successful $2 Million Challenge for Excellence campaign to provide endowment for enhancing faculty salaries.|
|1994||DC opened new fine arts building, Lowrie Annex, featuring two art rooms, photography dark room, drama room and classroom, for a cost of $500,000.|
|1998||DC launched ambitious $8 Million Advancing the Kingdom campaign to provide new facilities, increase endowment, expand technology, and build operating funds.|
|1999||DC broke ground for new bus lane, auditorium/classroom building, athletic field. The DC Society approved the purchase of garage property ($300,000) adjacent to the elementary campus on Bishop Hollow Road. Grades K-12 re-accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.|
|2000||New auditorium/classroom building - DeMoss Center for Worship and the Arts - completed for the 2000-01 school year.|
|2002||Dr. Steve Dill (DC class of 1968) installed as DC's 3rd Headmaster. Ken Tanis named Headmaster Emeritus.|
|2004||DC added Pre-Kindergarten Program.|
|2005||DC launched Science, Math and Technology Initiative.|
|2008||DC completed renovation of high school building including new science labs and a remodeled library; DC launches the Campaign for Transformational Leaders.|
|2009||DC sells Bishop Hollow Elementary Campus and purchases the Lower Campus on Waterloo Road in Devon from Episcopal Academy. DC achieves full renewal of accreditation with ACSI and the Middle States Association.|
|2012||DC completes the Campaign for Transformational Leaders with $22,000,000 in gifts.|
|2013||Dr. Timothy Wiens appointed as DC's 4th Head of School; Dr. Steve Dill becomes Senior Vice President for ACSI.|
|2018||Dr. George McFarland appointed Interim Head of School; $3.8 million in renovations completed on middle school building|
|2019||Daniel Steinfield begins tenure as DC's 5th Head of School|