When children enter the Lower School, they arrive curious about the world and their place in it. They ask big questions as they explore and discover the world in greater detail. We strive to capture that sense of wonder at every developmental stage and ignite student learning through an exemplary and innovative education rooted in Christ.
We recognize the building blocks to spiritual formation and the foundation of a biblical worldview began in the elementary years. Students in first through fifth grades participate in a Christ-centered education designed to help them grow in all areas of life: academically, spiritually, physically, and socially. Nurturing faculty guide students to observe God’s character and handiwork as they think deeply about their learning and how it is situated in God’s Story.
Experiencing Christ in all of life and learning is central to a DC education. Our prayer is that through the solid foundation of Christian education, we are equipping our children, even at a young age, to be prepared for a life of impact as global citizens.
- DC Parent
- Developmentally appropriate academic programs consisting of rigorous academics, interdisciplinary teaching, project based and experiential learning activities engage students in deeper learning.
- Differentiated instruction challenges students at every level of ability to achieve their personal best.
- Responsive classrooms build strong class and school community.
- Experiential learning provides rich opportunities for deeper learning.
- Environmental stewardship of dedicated outdoor spaces includes sunflower, vegetable and butterfly gardens, bluebird trail and bird gardens.
- The 39 acre campus including a running stream, koi pond, hardwood forest, meadows and fields, are available for student exploration.
- A school-age playground, gymnasium, athletic fields provide areas for competition and recreation.
- Specials classes enrich student learning including: HIVE (Hub of Innovation and Exploration), Spanish, music, physical education, library/technology, and art.
- Opportunities for extending learning, including art and Spanish enrichment, makerspace classes, band, instrumental lessons, and after school clubs.
- Grade level field trips enrich learning. Trips include visits to community partners, nature centers, museums, and historical sites throughout the year.
- Service learning and leadership opportunities embedded throughout the school day.
- Student Support Services are available to meet various learning needs.