Technology is integrated throughout the entire middle school curriculum. Students are equipped to use technology effectively, to use resources responsibly, to discern the ethical implications of actions, and to use technology as a tool to serve God and others.
- School Google accounts are given to each student in our G Suite for Education program.
- All middle school classrooms are equipped with ceiling-mounted lcd projectors and Smartboards.
- Document cameras are in many classrooms.
- Chromebook carts are available in each classroom for student use.
- A designated computer lab is available for middle school classes.
- Middle school students receive direct training in the use of computers and computer applications.
- The library has eight computer workstations.
- Online library resources such as research databases and the library catalog are accessible by students both at school and at home.
- Students develop and display their technology skills in various student-led technology projects integrated into normal coursework.
- Students have access to teacher pages using Moodle’s learning management system.
- Students have access to gradebook and homework information using FACTS Family Online (formerly RenWeb).
- Secured wifi over upgraded internet bandwidth has been deployed throughout the campus.
- What is G Suite for Education?
- Why G Suite at DC?
- What must I do to activate my G Suite account?
- Will student accounts be turned off during summer months or will account remain in place?
- Is the agreement form required annually?
- I have a personal Gmail account. Can I use that instead?
- Are there Advertisements on G Suite for Education like there are in Gmail?
- Does G Suite for Education cost the school money? Do students have to pay anything?
- What student information does Google have?
- Is student email safe?
- Where else other than my home should I expect my student to have access to email and Google Apps?
- What laws and policies is DC required to follow?
G Suite is a collection of free online applications. These applications do not reside on the computer, itself, but rather they are accessed through a web browser. This is considered working in the "cloud". The benefit of this structure allows flexibility in accessing documents and projects from ANY computer with Internet access. Staff and students can access their school documents from the lab, the classroom, the public library and even from home!
G Suite for Education is a special setup of the popular Google Apps, tailored specifically for educational institutions. For example, accounts are managed by the school district (and not by Google) and advertisements are all turned off.
G Suite for Education is free.
G Suite is an excellent suite of powerful programs.
G Suite is constantly adding new features.
G Suite removes compatibility issues.
G Suite allows for anytime, anywhere access.
G Suite allows for collaboration and sharing.
Microsoft Office can still be used in conjunction with G Suite.
Many people, schools, and businesses already use G Suite.
DC faculty and staff use G Suite.
Google’s responsibility to protect user privacy is defined in the contract between Google and Delaware County Christian School.
Even though Google is not charging a fee for their services, they have contracted to provide online data storage and use of G Suite for Education and to keep all data confidential. Google also agrees not to use confidential information for any purpose related to Google Ads. All Google advertising is turned off for Google education domains by default.
Child Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
The school is required by CIPA to have technology measures and policies in place that protect students from harmful materials including those that are obscene and pornographic. This means that student internet access is filtered. Websites containing harmful content from inappropriate sites will be blocked.
CIPA - https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/childrens-internet-protection-act
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
COPPA applies to commercial companies and limits their ability to collect personal information from children under 13. By default, Google advertising is turned off for G Suite for Education users. No personal student information is collected for commercial purposes.
COPPA - https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions